Friday, July 17, 2015

Totally having ice cream for dinner.

Ah, how I've missed you internets.  Eli has the kids at the rec center pool, and I have some blessed time alone.  Instead of unpacking, I'm doing a blog post because I'm an adult, dammit, and I do what I want.  I might also have ice cream for dinner.  It's been a crazy week. The move itself went pretty smoothly, except for the part where the bike rack fell off the back of my car and tried to take out the car behind us.  Luckily, we were on a freeway interchange, so the road was curving.  The car only had to swerve a little bit to not be flattened by two bikes and a rack.  The bikes survived mostly unscathed (Eli will need a new seat), but the rack was apparently scratching up my car something fierce. It took off the paint down to the primer in two large spots.  So that'll be fun to get fixed.  After retrieving the bikes, we strapped them to the trailer in front of my car.  I couldn't help but ask...why didn't we do that in the first place?  Both guys just looked at me and went "uhhhh..."  Yeah.  I knew I should have helped load the truck and trailer.

Our apartment is very nice and somewhat bigger than expected.  Our stuff easily fit into the garage, and I have hopes that I can make enough stuff function as storage that we can eventually park a car in there too.  They're pretty high hopes, but I have hoarder levels of organization and storage skills. 

Instead of joining a new Y, we got a family membership at the Castle Rock Rec Center, which includes daycare, fitness classes, preschool, and an amazing kid pool with three waterslides. I've tried two classes so far, and we've taken the kids to the pool almost every day, despite having a pool almost directly outside our door in our apartment complex.  The first class I took was okay.  It did the job of making me sore, but I didn't really enjoy the instructor.  She seemed bored and anxious to be done.  I took another class today that I loved, and I can already barely move.  Tomorrow I expect to be stuck in a horizontal position all day.  I highly recommend the PiYo class here at the Rec Center. The instructor was outstanding.  She was twenty weeks pregnant and kicking my ass in all the moves.  Seriously, I'm out of shape and also ouch.  I will be going back so she can kick my ass some more. 

We went by the plot of dirt we bought to see if a house had started to sprout yet.  No such luck, but the dirt is flat now, so it seems like things are moving along.  We did our final visit to the home gallery where Eli and I almost made it through the whole visit without getting into a fight.  To my surprise, he won the granite battle (we've been going back and forth on ugly granite versus less ugly granite).  When we went by the dirt plot, they had just finished another house with our same floorplan, so our awesome sales rep gave us the key to have a look.  I sort of liked the granite and carpet those people picked, so we got the details for the home gallery visit.  When we looked again at the home gallery, I hated both of the samples.  The ones I picked out were much more expensive.  Like 5K more expensive.  Each.  Just to be clear, we have the money to go with the better ones, so I wasn't breaking the budget or anything.  In the end, I caved and let Eli pick with the caveat that if I hated the carpet or the granite we would be replacing them with ones I liked.  He laughed like I was kidding, but I wasn't.  I even told him I wasn't.  I don't think he believed me, and I don't care.  I want my dream house because I'm an adult, dammit, and I do what I want. 


We walked to Starbucks on our first morning.  A good start to a new life.
The view from the front of my apartments.


This is the view from the freeway that takes us to IKEA 15 minutes north of us. 

This will be my kitchen backsplash, but not in that pattern.

From left to right, the floor in the upstairs bath, the kitchen granite, the trim color, and in the middle is the carpet.

Stuff for the master bath: green accent tile, white shower tile, mosaic vanity accent tile, shower soap dishes (the big triangle thing), possible countertop (the little white square), and floor tile (the long grey tile).
Cabinets (they'll be the little white color next to them), floors (they're a little darker in person), and the three non-master or kitchen countertop options in the bottom right corner.


Hiking in the rain near our house at Castlewood Canyon.

At an overlook in Castlewood Canyon.

Castlewood Canyon.


No comments: