Monday, June 15, 2015

It's all fun and games until someone gets hit in the eye.

I've moved quite a few times before.  Several time across the country even.  So it's not like I'm new to the whole pack up your whole house maneuvers.  What I have never done is try to pack up a large house while providing child care for two hyper children.  It is not going well.  Or at least it's not going fast.  Adding to the challenge is the strange transitional move we're going to do.  We're going from a 2000 square foot house to a 1000 square foot apartment to a 3000 square foot house.  We'll be spending about 6 months in the apartment including fall, part of winter, and all the holidays that go along with those times of year.  Why does that matter?  Allow me to explain.  Not all of our stuff will fit into the apartment, even with the nazi levels of purging I have going on (too soon?).  So anything that I want access to in the next 6 months needs to be packed together and clearly labeled.  That stuff is going into the apartment.  Everything else is going to be tetris-ed into the one car garage for storage.  I won't really be able to get to any of that stuff unless I un-tetris it all first.  What this means for me is that while I'm packing I need to anticipate anything I might need in the next 6 months and pack accordingly.  While also taking into account the stuff we'll need at this house for the next 2 weeks.  And making sure it doesn't look like a bunch of hoarders live here for any showings we have (and oh do we have them).  Add in my bossy controlling nature which limits any actual help people can give me and I spend an inordinate amount of time cruising the internets for stress relief.

We keep seeing a family of foxes in our backyard near the firepit this last week.  It's pretty cool because the mama will stand on one of the benches and watch the babies wrestle in the grass.  They also like to grab small pieces of wood from the pile and chase each other around with them.  Seriously, it's like watching my kids play.  Wood and all.

The babies are trying to push mama off the stump.

We went to McDonald's yesterday (the showings are making me fat), and C created a new fun game that involved banging his head on the table.  I guess it didn't hurt when he tapped it lightly, but then he missed and whacked his face on the edge of the table.  The metal rim caught his brow bone and his eye got all puffy.  He was super pissed.  I was like what did you expect from a game that involves banging your head on the table.  In hindsight, I probably should have stopped him because I knew where it was going.  Clearly I'm a stellar parent.  Eh, hopefully he learned something from it.  

No comments: