Monday, March 16, 2015

It's possible to nail jello to a tree if you use a Ziploc baggie.

Last weekend was glorious.  My kids were visiting their cousin overnight, so me and the hubby had 36 amazing hours to ourselves.  I slept in until 11:30, guys.  11:30 in the morning!  We had a leisurely brunch that did not involve milk cups or picking up a toy from the floor for the hundredth time.  We stayed up until 2am playing games with friends and didn't have a minor spat about who would play zombie parent in the morning with the kids.  I need one of those more than once a year.  Luckily for us, we're going to Punta Cana for 9 days sans kids in the end of June, so I'll get at least one more shot to sleep until lunchtime.

Remember how I told you guys about Dante and his ladybug friends?  Last week at bedtime, he was messing with his ear while I was getting his room ready for the night.  I saw him out of the corner of my eye and had a sudden sense of foreboding.  I asked him what he was doing and he said he was putting his friend to bed.  To my dawning horror, he was trying to shove a ladybug into his ear.  Not just set it gently in the wide-open outer part, he was trying to shove it into the inside of his ear.  I pulled his hand away and pried the ladybug out of the hole, but he started crying because he really wanted a ladybug in his ear for bedtime.  He was tired, so it was easy to distract him with a story, and I was profoundly grateful that the ladybug was either dead or too terrified to move while he was trying to insert it.  I can only imagine his horror if it had started wiggling.  He hasn't tried to do it again, I think, but I'm not watching him every minute.  For all I know, he could have an entire colony of terrified ladybugs in his head.  It would explain why he flails himself right off the couch sometimes. 

Eli had decided that he very much enjoys his new job, so he's waiving the three-month waiting period for our move.  Originally, he wanted to wait until the beginning of May to decide whether or not we would move, but now it's all systems go.  The only thing we're waiting on is for our house to sell.  As soon as we have an accepted offer, we'll be flying to Colorado to try to find a new house.  If Colorado doesn't work out, we already have a couple of places we like in Florida.  Either way, we'll be moving as soon as we can.  In the meantime, we've had seven showings this week, and the stress is going to kill me, or someone else, very soon.  Do you know what it's like to keep a house show-ready for multiple days in a row with small children?  Answer: like nailing jello to a tree.  But only if the jello is demanding snacks and knocking smaller jello to the ground.  (Don't worry, smaller jello is fine, he's used to the abuse from his older brother.)  Right this second, we don't have any future showings scheduled, and I'm inordinately happy about that.  We need showings to sell the house, and one of my biggest fears is that we'll be packing for Punta Cana and cleaning the house for "just one more showing."  If the house isn't sold in time for our anniversary vacation, I'm not coming back from paradise.

Brothers.

Arms up!

Learning how to shriek, courtesy of his big brother.

Example one of big jello knocking little jello to the ground.

Example two of jello on jello crime.

C's first birthday was last month.  The cake was acceptable.

Until he bit into it, then it wasn't being shoved into his mouth fast enough.

Rainbow Dash.  I made this for a friend's daughter.

Butt shot.

D insisted he needed a "Mama Chicken," so I made him one.  He sleeps with it now.

No comments: