Friday, May 23, 2014

No, I'm not your mummy.

We went to bed fairly late after volleyball on Wednesday night.  For us, that means around midnight.  I was expecting to get up a couple of hours later to feed C, but I was happy for those couple of hours of sleep.  About an hour later, I was woken up by a very loud sneeze in the dark right next to my face.  It wasn't Eli, who was asleep behind me.  He says I squeaked, but I only remember rolling toward him and freezing.  I'd had this nightmare before.  Eli looked over my shoulder and said that he thinks D is standing there.  I was like: you think? You're not sure? Apparently, he could only see D's face in the light of my alarm clock, and he was just standing there staring, which is highly unusual for my hyper two-year-old.  It was particularly alarming because we weren't sure how he'd gotten past the gate at his door.  I refused to roll over because the sight of D's face floating there staring at me is one I would never be able to forget, so Eli got up to take care of it.  Let's just say that I'll be making sure his gate is locked from now on.  When he got back, he wanted to talk about it, but I stopped him cold.  Like I said, I'd had that nightmare before.  So last night we were laying in the dark chatting and the subject came up again.  I told him I didn't want to talk about it, and he agreed that it was freaky.  I said something about how at least I was sure D would stay in his room because I'd checked his gate.  Eli responded by looking over my shoulder and saying: then who's kid is that standing there.  I smacked him.  And refused to turn over the entire rest of the night.  It's like he delights in giving me nightmares. 

Yesterday was our 4 year wedding anniversary, and we celebrated it by watching an episode of Elementary then going our separate ways for the evening.  I was subbing for a volleyball game, and Eli wanted to play phone games for a while.  We're not entirely devoid of romance; we're going to dinner on Saturday, but it was an interesting comparison thinking about where we were 4 years ago (on a beach at a resort in Mexico for those of you who weren't aware).  Now line that up with where we were last night, in two different places and taking care of sick kids.  Sick kids are a special kind of hell when you're sick yourself, so my day was anything but peaceful, and it's hard to play volleyball effectively when your head is pounding and all your body parts hurt.  Add in Doctor Who flashbacks of "Are you my mummy?", and my night was done.  Despite all that, I'm very happy with our marriage, and I wouldn't change anything.  Well, I might wash my hands better when D first started getting sick, but other than that... The kids make the relationship very different from the one we had when we got married, but it's not worse.  It's not necessarily better, but it's a good kind of different. 
D's telling C to look at the camera.

I have no idea what they're looking at, but I assume it's a phantom child with a cold.

3 comments:

JoAnn Aronson said...

I absolutely love your blog posts. Thank you for the humor.

Jenny Hall said...

Happy Anniversary! I'm sorry you guys were sick. I can't believe how fast Caden is growing! Do you think he will be taller than Dante one day?

Raedyn said...

I don't know, Jenny. He's certainly wider than D ever was.