Tuesday, August 13, 2013

I'm not dead yet.

The secret for me to lose the last of the baby/cupcake weight is, apparently, for me to get pregnant again.  Through no effort on my part, I've managed to finally hit my weight goal at 9 weeks pregnant by losing 7 pounds.  It doesn't sound like a lot, but I'd been working on those 7 pounds for a while.  Just to be clear, I am not really happy about the weight loss.  I've been really sick the last few weeks and unable to eat most anything.  This is not the healthiest way to be pregnant or lose weight, though I'm told it's somewhat normal during the first trimester.  That's not to say I'm not hungry.  What's really happening is that I'm craving glorious, preservative-filled American food, and anything else is turning my stomach.  I've tried to make myself eat what we've established as normal food here, but I get a few bites in then have to rush to the bathroom.  I actually woke up last night from a dream where I was eating Velveeta Shells and Cheese and my stomach was cramping so bad from wanting some that I had to get up and take some medicine.  To exacerbate the problem, I have hypothyroidism.  One of the symptoms being extreme fatigue.  I have to take a pill every morning to counter it, no biggie, but for the two weeks before we figured it out, I didn't have the energy to get out of bed at all.  I don't mean I was feeling lazy.  I mean I tried to get out of bed and as soon as I stood up I got shaky and my heart started pounding until I laid down again.  It was scary.  I'm feeling a lot stronger now thanks to the medication, and I may have found some solutions to my American food cravings (besides ordering Pizza Hut every night).  As soon as it stops raining (yay monsoon), I'm heading to the store to get some expensive American ingredients. 

Some of you may have noticed I did a guest post over at the fabulous Rants from Mommyland.  I was really happy to contribute, and the responses from people just blew me away.  There was so much support and love from complete strangers.  Here's a link if you missed it: Domestic Enemies of the Grad School Mom

In other great news, my amazing sister-in-law had her baby this past weekend.  I now have another niece to totally spoil.  I'm not sure how they managed a girl baby in this family, but respect.  I can't wait to see her, so I'm selfishly hoping they'll bring their new baby to Wisconsin for Christmas since I'll be there for it.  I'm still going back and forth as to when D and I will be returning to the States.  Some time between September 15th and  December 15th for sure, but I'm suffering from a miserable case of homesickness.  I'm also feeling the pull of not breaking the Thanksgiving tradition we have of spending that time in Florida with the usual suspects.  It will be the first time in a lot of years that we don't celebrate with Rocket et al.  If only plane tickets weren't so expensive. 

1 comment:

afour said...

First, congratulations! I hope you feel better very soon - I still remember my morning sickness from my daughter (now 4). Second, I just read your post on Rants From Mommyland, and it was just wonderful. I am a Ph.d. in English as well, and chose to have my son while still in grad school. I particularly loved your description of the looks academic people give you when they learn of your family. Thanks again for a great blog post.