Wednesday, May 8, 2013

One week left.

I'm so excited to be coming home in a week.  We've been in India for three months, and it seems like the time has gone a lot faster than the last time.  We'll be in the US for three weeks, and I imagine that time will be gone before I know it.  I'm enjoying my time here now that I don't have grad school pressures to deal with, but I'm ready for this experience to be over so we can move on to the next one.

I'm thinking I'll start my next book after we get back.  It'll be fun to finally write just for me again without having to take into account the sensibilities of my committee.  I'm going back and forth about what I want to work on though.  I have a series of sci-fi short stories that I'd always planned to turn into a novel, but I also have the beginnings of a paranormal YA swimming around in my head.  Ideally, I'll finish both of them by December when D and I head home.  It would be really nice to finally start sending out novels I love to publishers that pay rather than short stories I like to journals that can't even offer me print copies as reimbursement.  I've been saying since I was 14 that I wanted to make writing my career.  I feel like I've made a lot of good headway toward that goal.  I've learned so much through school and practice, but I've reached the point where I just need to write.  I'm at the bottleneck where I have to trust in luck and fate as well as skill and research that my manuscript will reach an editor that it appeals to.  Well, you know, after I write it.

I'm so glad I have this opportunity to do what I love.  I'd always imagined that I would be a stay-at-home mom to my kids and write in my spare time.  I admit, that's a crazy goal with a child under 2, but eventually, D will start preschool, then real school.  I'll have time to spend with D, time to spend with Eli, and time to myself to write (or do whatever needs to get done) while they're both gone.  I wanted to finish my degree before we got to that point, and I have.  I wanted to have a couple of novels under my belt as well, and I do.  None of this would have been possible without Eli.  He's taken on a lot of my responsibilities so that I can pursue my passions, and I'm grateful every day for him.  Our third wedding anniversary is coming up, and it still feels like we just got back from Mexico.  I've read that the second year of marriage is the hardest, so I guess we're doing something right.

We decided that we'd like to go to Giggles for our anniversary, and naturally, we're inviting everyone we know because we just can't resist sharing fun times with our friends.  We'll organize it when we get home, but it'll probably be Friday, May 24th or Saturday, May 25th (Memorial Day weekend).  Should be fun.

UPDATE: After some research, it appears that Giggles may be closed?  Can we get a confirm or deny here?

1 comment:

Ginger Rage said...

http://www.gigglescomedypub.com/ Looks like it's Jokerz now, with a new address to boot. :(