Thursday, April 18, 2013

No one will believe me.

I have few things to hit on today.  30DS.  Bras.  Everest.  Earthquake.  We'll even go in that order.  I'm on day 9 of the 30DS round 2.  It's still kicking my butt, but yesterday, I was able to get through the entire push-up section without doing any moderations.  That's right.  I did boy push-ups the entire time.  Even better, when Eli walked into the office/gym while I was in the middle of my work-out, he stopped, looked at me for a second, then told me that I looked skinnier.  He sounded surprised.  I restrained myself from smacking him for the surprise, and the compliment was nice.  I've found that I just don't have the energy to do 30DS on Sundays (even though it's only 25 minutes) after chasing D around all day.  Instead, I've started doing yoga on Sundays instead.  My yoga DVD is 30 minutes long and the stretching feels amazeballs after all the strain on my muscles during the week.  Also after the strain of a toddler treating me like a bouncy castle. 

Bras are not something I normally talk about a lot.  I have a philosophy that I love VS, and if I go into their store, I will come out broke.  Before the boob job, I thought I was a 32B.  After the boob job, once the swelling went away, I stayed consistent at a 32C (with the occasional D thrown in for good measure) until my pregnancy.  I was frustrated that most other stores didn't sell 32s in a C or D, but that was okay because I had VS.  Since D weaned himself, I haven't really been able to wear my VS bras because they aren't as comfortable as they used to be.  I blamed my weight gain, and I've been working to get back to my "normal" size.  This is just backstory so you understand my thought process.  Today, I read a blog post that made me do a bunch of research.  You find that post here at Epbot.  She writes about how she learned that her bra size was terribly, terribly wrong.  I was aware of the oft repeated idea that most women in America were wearing the wrong bra size, but since I'd had a doctor create my bra size specifically, I was pretty sure I was wearing the correct one.  On a whim, I followed her links.  After some research, I measured myself (several times) and found that I'm supposed to be wearing a 32G in American sizing.  I'm not convinced that this is accurate, but from what I read, I'm wearing my bras wrong anyway.  There's a British lingerie store/website that comes highly recommended (Brastop), so I might order a 32G bra and see what all the fuss is about.  Another option is a British department store at one of the malls here might have that sizing.  I'll check it out.  I'm posting this here because I want all my female friends to educate themselves about proper bra fit.  I'll do a follow-up post when I can confirm/deny the sizing difference. 

EDIT: I just checked the Marks and Spencer website.  They do offer the sizes I need, but the bras are plain.  The Brastop bras are cute like VS, so I may still order one.  Still need to go try one on though.

So, Eli and I are going on a trip to Everest Base Camp in late October.  We're hiking from a village in Nepal to Base Camp and back.  It's supposed to take 10-12 days, and it will probably result in the death of at least one of us.  Maybe not from the very challenging physical aspect, but you know Eli is going to be attacked by a yak or something.  This means I need to pick up my snowboarding gear from WI in May so that I don't have to spend an insane amount of money on stuff I already have.  Now I just need to remember where I packed it away.  Eli considers this great practice for his frozen river trek that the guys are doing for his 40th birthday in January.  I'm excited because we'll get to add "went to Everest" on our list of cool things we've done.  Bragging rights, check.

Eli experienced his first earthquake on Tuesday.  It was a serious one too.  I noticed right away because, hello, 8 years in southern Cali trains you for several very specific things.  Earthquakes and tan lines are two of them.  Also, how to not get shot in the ghetto.  Eli didn't believe me at first, but when I pointed out the tinkling coming from our living room chandelier shaking, he jumped up from the table pretty quickly.  He gathered D, the housekeeper, the nanny, and the Hindi teacher (we were in the middle of class) and insisted that we all tromp down 12 flights of stairs to wait in the lobby with the rest of the building.  I told him that if he was trying to get to a safe place, the lobby wasn't it.  He refused to listen to my logic.  The shaking went on for about 20 seconds, then stopped.  We didn't feel any aftershocks.  Nothing even fell off of any shelves.  I again tried to tell Eli that we weren't really in any danger, but he wanted to stay downstairs for a bit.  On the plus side, it was a convenient way to meet some of our neighbors.  Especially since I was in my penguin PJ pants.  It made for a good ice breaker.  After 15 minutes or so, Eli got hot or tired or something and allowed us to take the elevator back up to our apartment.  We finished class and that was that.  Later that night, I checked a couple of earthquake sites and found out that our little quake wasn't so little.  Apparently, it was centered on the Iran/Pakistan border, and it was a 7.8 that caused destruction and loss of life.  At least 35 people were killed.  What I find most interesting is that there appears to be little media coverage of a major natural disaster in comparison to the Boston Marathon bombings.  I'm not critiquing this, I'm just drawing attention to what the news outlets consider more important.  It made me examine my outlook on world events as reported to me.  The earthquake had a more upfront effect on me than the bombings, but I'm living on the other side of the world, so that makes sense.  If I were still living in WI, would I have even noticed a blurb about a major earthquake in Iran/Pakistan?




1 comment:

Kelly said...

I read that article too! Apparently I'm supposed to be wearing a 34DDD/F instead of the 38B I've been wearing. Who knew? ^_^