Saturday, November 3, 2012

Things I miss..or why I will shortly be 300 pounds

There are a lot of things I miss about home.  A lot.  Or even alot, if you're talking about a mythical creature who eats grammar.  I've been compiling this list for a while, pretty much since we got here, and now that we're two weeks from being home, I thought I'd share it. 

Things I miss (in no particular order):
  • Skinny, no whip, chai creme frappuccinos
  • Pumpkin spice lattes
  • Frostys
  • Squishy bread
  • Cucumbers, light bulbs, and diapers all in the same place
  • Real Chili
  • Chicken fettuccine alfredo from Maggiano's
  • Moscato
  • Milk in a jug
  • Bacon
  • Steak
  • Rolls from Texas Roadhouse
  • Salads and soups and all you can eat pasta from Olive Garden
  • Cheesecake
  • Cupcakes
  • Frozen yogurt
  • Reliable power
  • Reliable water
  • Potable tap water
  • Fountain Diet Coke
  • Driving
  • My hair salon
  • YMCA
  • An oven
  • My recipe book
  • My sewing machine
  • Onyx and Yuki
  • Roast beef sandwiches fromArby's
  • Cheese danish and chai and chopped chicken cobb salad with avocados from Panera
  • Salad bars
  • Iceberg lettuce
  • Strawberries
  • Lunch meat
  • Kraft cheese
  • Movies in English
  • Unlimited internet bandwidth
  • Traffic laws
  • Chilly air outside
  • Quiet at night (no honking or construction noise)
  • Dish soap that doesn't make me break out in hives
  • Laundry detergent that doesn't make me break out in hives
  • The ability to go outside in a tank top
  • Shorts
  • The certain knowledge that I will not be gored by a cow today
  • Ghirardelli chocolate
  • Taking walks with Dante
  • All our friends
  • Volleyball
  • Snickerdoodles
  • Trees outside my window
  • Voting
  • Crazy Packers fans
  • Oakland Gyros
  • Chunky Campbells soup
  • Cooking and baking
  • Ice
  • Celery
  • Whipped Philly cream cheese
  • Havarti cheese
  • Turkey jerkey
  • Summer sausage
  • Mac and cheese
  • Laughing Cow cheese wedges
  • Nacho cheese
  • Burritos from Taco Bell
  • Red beans and rice from Popeyes
  • Basic burritos from Beans and Barley
  • Text messaging...
 I'm going to stop it there because I feel like I could just keep going.  Let's just assume if it's in America, I miss it.  It is nice being able to get a bottle of Diet Coke for 50 cents, but that doesn't make up for everything else.  Despite all the stuff above, I don't dislike India. I just don't particularly like it either. 

There is one thing India gave me that America was unable to provide: the time to write my dissertation.  I have so much stuff in America, and so many responsibilities that I enjoy, that I haven't been putting any effort into finishing my degree.  Here, I literally have nothing else to do besides work out.  It's easy to put the time in because it's more fun than staring at Facebook waiting for someone to post something and amuse me. 

I do spend time with Dante and Eli, but there are a lot of hours in the day.  I'm looking forward to resuming my responsibilities and my life, but I'm afraid I won't be able to maintain the momentum I've built up here with my writing.  I guess this will be a test to see how stubborn I really am.

Pictures of the Indian wedding we went to next time.  If you're good, I'll upload a video of Eli dancing with the other boys.

No comments: