Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Drumroll please...



Here are the highlights of my thoughts since we've gotten to India.  The ones I've written down at least.  Ignore the time/day references since they were collected over several days, up through yesterday.

There is something snacking on my legs.  I haven’t seen mosquitoes, so some part of me is worried that I suddenly have fleas.  The bites look like mosquito bites though.  Sneaky bastards.  I need to eat more garlic.  

 The first couple of days in India have convinced me that I was clearly meant to live in a hotel suite.  I love this suite, which is causing problems in the apartment search.  Nothing is measuring up to the hotel standard.  The food is amazing here, and everything is so clean.  And the workout area is amazing.  Le sigh.  The bathroom has this really cool square tile in a random pattern of white, light grey, grey, dark grey, interspersed with a shiny gold and iridescent blue-green-purple.  I want to take the wall home.  The bed is enormous with a super squishy mattress and an obscene number of pillows.  Last night, we were literally surrounded by pillows.  It was what I imagine sleeping in a cloud would be like.  The lights still confuse me.  There are buttons instead of switches, but I’m not really sure what all of them do.  Mostly, I just try not to turn off the power in the whole place on accident (I know that’s possible because I managed to do it the first night).  Speaking of power, we’ve had maybe one power outage a day, but it’s for less than 10 seconds then everything comes back on.  I can only assume the building has power back-up.  The tv channels are also weird.  They have TLC, but it’s an Indian version of TLC.  The hotel staff speak excellent English, but everyone else speaks with such a heavy accent that it’s hard to understand (if they speak English at all).  I keep waiting for someone to tell me to learn the language if I want to live here, then I remember that I’m not in America anymore and people tend not to say that in other places.  The traffic is ridiculous, and the cows have huge horns.  Not the long skinny ones like Longhorns, but the thick scary kind made for goring people who don’t show them the proper respect.  


Eli ran into the mirror in our suite two nights ago.  It was hilarious.  Of course, it was like 2am and I was suffering from sleep deprivation, but I laughed until I was wheezing.  Actually, I’m laughing right now just thinking about it.  Dante has been getting up at 2am every night, crying for an hour, then going back to sleep.  I will be so excited when the jetlag wears off. 

I flooded the bathroom this morning on accident.  I’m not sure why I felt the need to add “on accident” to that sentence since I can’t think of a good reason to flood the bathroom on purpose.  I’m not sure why the drain wasn’t up to the job of getting rid of the water, but it took all of our towels to mop up the mess.  I’m going to go ahead and blame Eli’s hair. 

I had some insightful thoughts that I reminded myself to blog about this morning, but I’ve forgotten them since then.  Shame on me for not writing them down.  There was a woman in a miniskirt and heels at breakfast.  I think the hotel is giving me a false sense of typical women’s fashion here.  I need to go spend some time in a mall.  I don’t want to go by myself though, not yet anyway.  Maybe I’ll call Shivani (the girlfriend of one of Eli’s coworkers) and see if she wants to go with me.  They spent a lot of time helping us on Saturday, so maybe she’d be willing to help me not get taken advantage of.  This whole trip would be easier if I could just speak Hindi.  If for no other reason than the joy of listening in on conversations that people think you can’t understand.  You can learn so much!

The nanny, Rebecca, wants me to teach her English grammar.  It seems I can’t escape teaching no matter where I go.  I may agree to tutor her in English if she’ll help me with Hindi.  Speaking of which, I need an English-Hindi dictionary.  The pronunciation seems pretty straight forward, but I need a solid vocabulary base.  And I need to get familiar with the grammar.  I won’t be able to read it, but I’ll be able to communicate…I hope. 

I think we may have blown out the white noise maker and the monitors on the first night.  Neither seems to be working anymore.  Blast.  Luckily, all the floors here are marble (and I mean all the floors, not just in our suite), so when Dante cries, everyone can hear it. 

I’m sitting here watching a Japanese channel with the nanny (it’s in English for some reason), and it just reinforces my insistence that I want to live in Japan.  That’s about the only thing that would keep us abroad after our stint in India.  Eli says it’s very very unlikely that JCI would open a branch in Japan since the cost would be so high.  Then again, he said it was very unlikely that they would pay for us to move to India.  He’s conservative in his predictions. 

I went to Modern Bazaar today.  That’s Gurgaon’s version of an upscale exotic foods boutique, meaning they sell American brands at ridiculously inflated prices.  I paid $7 for a small container of peanut butter.  Robbery.  Eli says I’m not allowed to shop there anymore except in special cases. 

And now, pictures:
 



Our bed with a view of the bathroom.



The other side of the room with Dante practicing his climbing skills (he gets those from Daddy).

The living room, please ignore the mess.

Dante playing with his plane at TGI Fridays at one of the malls here.  This was before he started dancing to the music (you'll notice he's rocking the outfit Erin got him for his birthday, someone go tell her).
The view from our bedroom window overlooking MG Road, which seems to be the busiest road around here.

No comments: