Tuesday, October 13, 2009

So...Yeah.

Obviously, I fail hard. Eight months of no contact or updates. I'm sure I've lost what little readers I had, but now I'm back. Hopefully for good. On to updates, in a convenient bulleted list and in no particular order.
  • Eli and I are getting married May 22, 2010 in Riviera Maya, Mexico (Kelly won October).
  • I finally got offered a teaching assistantship at UWM, so now I'm teaching two sections of English 101 in addition to my many classes.
  • There has been very little work of the writing nature to note, mostly just editing. Though I did finish a new short short story, which brings us to the next point.
  • It got published! My special little short short titled "Bachelorette Party" will be appearing soon in The Literary Circular at coffee shops in and around the UWM area. No, I did not get paid for it.
  • I'm officially an Assistant Fiction Editor for the Cream City Review.
  • I'm officially an Accredited Home Stager, so I can officially make beautiful spaces.
  • Amy is teaching me to crochet long distance.
  • I'm the Costume Director for the Wisconsin Fear Grounds through the end of October where I am fondly known as the Costume Nazi or Keeper of the Safety Pins, depending on what the actors need. Despite the large amounts of work and lack of sleep this month, I'm hoping they'll have me back next year.
  • I've managed to keep up my workout regimen so that now I do ten miles a day at the gym, every day. I'm in better shape than I have been in my entire life I think.
  • I just participated in the Panther Prowl for the second consecutive year. I actually ran the full 3.1 miles this time with no stopping.
  • We finally got a new back door put in with insulation and everything, so this year there won't be any snow blowing into the mud room and hopefully the downstairs will stay a bit warmer.
That's all I can think of for now, but I'm sure I missed a bunch of stuff from the last eight months.

I recently finished Jennifer Armintrout's first book in her Lightworld/Darkworld series, Queene of Light. The cover looked amazing and her dedication convinced me to buy it. Anyone that snarky in the first page is someone I want to be familiar with. I was pleased with the book, though I came to it with the expectation of a paranormal romance. It was really more urban fantasy, which I also like. She did a good job of setting up the world and preparing us for the coming changes. There are a lot of possibilities where she could go with the story, and I'm excited to see what she did with it. An interesting feature is that it appears the second and third books will focus on the main character's daughter in a very Maggie Shayne/Wings in the Night kind of way. There were only two parts of the book that kept me from proclaiming it from the rooftops. One, the only truly interesting secondary character is killed in a sort of anticlimactic way. This guy had depth and I was looking forward to seeing him more in the series before his unfortunate demise. We didn't even get to see the death, so I'm still kind of hoping he's not as dead as they think he is. Two, I had trouble buying the instant, insane attraction between the hero and heroine. I can accept that it was fate or whatever for them to be together, but I felt that they accepted it too easily. Even with those two points, I still recommended the book to Amy who then did the happy dance when she found it at Walmart. I'm intrigued enough to consider buying her Blood Ties series now too. Perhaps the best part of all of this, her blog is hilariously funny. She seems to have the exact same sense of humor as me. I've added her to my list, so check her out. Jennifer Armintrout. Go.


this is the right turn, wrong universe

No comments: