Monday, November 3, 2008

Blog. Blog. Blog. Blog.

I'm back! The hectic preparations for our Halloween party are over, and I can finally relax. I'm so relaxed, in fact, that I accidentally skipped class today. Sarah's wedding is in two weeks or so, but I only have to finish her wedding present for that. Well, and show up with my fabulous self. The deadline for my final paper is starting to loom, so I should probably get started on my research. I don't suppose any of you could recommend some good articles on the changing portrayal of female characters in vampire movies? Yeah, that's what I thought. Luckily, that's the only big paper I have to do. My second story in my fiction class has been completed for a while now, and I turn it in on Wednesday. I hope they like it. I've started work on the last story, which I've titled "Wrath of the Con Gods." Yep, you read that right. Should be a lot of fun. I'm keeping up with my page a day goal, but not with the novel vs. school writing part of it. They've kind of collided at this point. I want to make "Wrath of the Con Gods" into a novel, but it has to start off as a short story for class. Oh, and I have to revise my first two stories. What that means is that I have to rewrite the beginning of "Hunter." I have a plan to make Jas more believable.

In other news, I've finished reading the archives of Least I Could Do in what little spare time I could find. The comic really grew on me, so I highly recommend it. We also start our volleyball league next Monday. I'm just hoping I don't screw up too badly. I don't think I play as well when I get nervous. The rest of the team is gimpy, so hopefully I'll just blend in. Tom hurt his leg playing Paintball a couple of weeks ago, Marie's arm is still hurt from when she took that fall rock-climbing, and Eli did something to his calf muscle when we were playing Ultimate Frisbee this weekend. At least my serves are making it over the net at this point.

I totally missed the RWA workshop this weekend as well. I was hoping I could to go to at least half of it, but I was too tired on Saturday morning. The workshop started at 8am, and I didn't even get up until like 11. I feel bad because these opportunities are few and far between, but I had a blast hanging out with my out of town friends instead. That's how we ended up playing Ultimate Frisbee. I think the locals might even be interested in doing another game this weekend. I managed to get all my work stuff done so that I would, indeed, get paid this month. I can't wait to start paying down my debt again. I have a five year plan, and it officially goes into effect this month.

I have a full day of classes et al. tomorrow, but I'm hoping to get some writing done. I'm considering bringing my laptop to school so I can write between classes. Doing it in my notebook is helping, but it's not the same level of writing I get when I can just let my ideas flow in front of a keyboard. I type much faster than I write, and I can let my brain get way ahead of my fingers without too many typos. Plus, typing is so much cleaner than writing and crossing out. The chaos has a negative effect on my chi, I'm sure of it. Oh! I submitted one of my short shorts to the Family Matters contest at Glimmer Train. It's still in process, but they're supposed to announce their winners this month. I also volunteered to help my RWA chapter with our writing contest in March. I'm going to enter it as well, of course, but it will be my first time on the other side of the contest desk. After a few years as a lit. journal reader, I'm familiar with that world of publishing. I'm looking forward to meeting the editors and agents that will be doing the judging, even if it's only virtual.

I haven't had a lot of time to read lately, but my TBR list is getting longer by the day. I picked up a couple of new mangas I wanted to try: Love Attack and Fall in Love like a Comic. Both are cute little Shojo jaunts. Fall in Love like a Comic is only two volumes long, which surprised me, but I enjoyed it anyway. The art reminds me of Yuu Watase. I only picked up the first volume of Love Attack, but there were at least 4 more volumes on the shelf at B&N. It's a little different than the usual wacky high school girl story. The heroine is always getting into physical fights, which I can appreciate because she's trying to protect those smaller than her. The art reminds me of W Juliet. I just found out recently that Emura is creating a sequel to W Juliet actually. I can't wait to see it. I won't expound on the many books I've bought recently; you'll get that next time. For now, I'm going to add another page to Con Gods and call it a night.

I am the terror that flaps in the night...

No comments: