Tuesday, September 23, 2008

I live!

I'm still sick, but I'm feeling much better thanks to all the drugs I'm taking. I realize I'm a little behind on the blogging since I got sick, so now's when I try to catch up.

Sunday: Eli actually suggested we go to the mall. I jumped at the chance and made him spend an hour with me in Barnes and Noble (he groans, but he likes it as much as I do). I ended up with several new books that I hadn't even realized were out and some new ones I wanted to try. I also got a vampire anthology. Yep, you heard me right. A collection of romance shorts centered around vampires. What's the name, you ask? The Mammoth Book of Vampire Romance. I'm so not kidding. You see why I had to buy it? Also, Shiloh Walker's newest short is in there. What else did I buy? Let me enlighten you.

I picked up two more Shomi books: Countdown by Michelle Maddox and Hidden by Eve Kenin. I've already devoured Countdown, and it was amazing. She had a great hook right from the first page, and I truly enjoyed both the characters. One of the problems I had with the first couple of Shomi books was that the male leads didn't really get fleshed out, but they seem to have fixed that. Michelle put her characters in some truly unique predicaments. It was refreshing to read that after the onslaught of "make me your vampire/werewolf/demon/cyborg lover-queen." I'm trying very hard not to give anything juicy away, so I strongly recommend everyone go read this book...now.

Hidden is up next on the list. Turns out Eve made a sequel to her first Shomi book-Driven. I love connected books like that, there's nothing better than going back after the happy ending to see what happened to the characters I loved so much.

I also picked up a newbie to my reading shelves-The Accidental Demon Slayer by Angie Fox. The first three sentences on the back of the book hooked me. "It's never a good day when an ancient demon shows up on your toilet. For Lizzie Brown, that's just the beginning. Soon her hyperactive terrier starts talking, and her long-lost biker-witch grandma is hurling Smuckers jars filled with magic." A demon showing up on someone's toilet sounds like the beginning of a book I'd write; ergo, I would love it. At first, I was a bit disappointed when I actually started reading it. Turns out dear old Lizzie is an uptight preschool teacher. Not my ideal heroine. She spends the first couple of chapters simply reacting to things going on around her. Luckily for Angie, the things going on around her were pretty darned interesting. It wasn't until maybe 2/3 of the way through the book that Lizzie lets her inner Bad-Ass free. Overall, it was a good first try. I checked out her website and it seems she's all set up for book number two in the series. I think I'll buy it.

Thursday: The reading went really well. After wallowing in self-pity all week ("I have nothing worth reading!! /emo"), I decided to go with the first couple of pages of "Strange Land." I didn't stutter, trip, burp, hack up a lung, or do anything else even slightly embarrassing. Everyone laughed at all the right parts, and I got some nice applause when I finished. I was very impressed by Matt Schumacher (the poet who read after me). He gave an amazing performance. Good enough that I wanted to buy his poetry book even though I'm not that big on poetry (and I still plan to buy it).

Saturday: The WisRWA (Wisconsin Romance Writers of America for you uninitiated folks) meeting was amazing. I met some extremely nice people and kicked ass at Romance Jeopardy. I had the Bad Boys category down. I'm thinking of joining a Book in a Month group with these ladies in November. I'll keep you posted on that one.

Sunday: I spent way too much money shopping with a friend who I don't hang out with enough. But I got a Bad-Ass chocolate colored leather jacket (real leather!) for an astounding $60. That sucker was like 80% off. It was worth the entire trip.

Today: I had an epiphany for the way to fix Taige's novel, though it's not really Taige's novel anymore. I had to give it to Kai or I'd just keep getting hung up on KScope. That's the new goal. Fortune Cookie can wait. I'm going to write this one from page one. I did the notes and plotting today. I'll finish up the plotting tomorrow and start the first chapter. I want to be done with the first 35 pages or so by October 1st so I can enter it in some contests. One in particular only needs the first 5 pages, but that's going to be tricky because I need to introduce the male lead in that short amount of time. Never fear, I have the first scene already planned and it's drool-worthy.

Tomorrow: The world! (muahahaha)

No comments: